The Bookshelf at Beehive Books and Art is a carefully selected group of books, designed to connect you with the best of children’s literature. These books are loved by children, and respected by experts. The Bookshelf features the authors, illustrators, and publishers who create the best kids books available.
The Bookshelf is a resource that you can easily reference when shopping for books.
You can browse The Bookshelf to find a select group of recommended books for each age and reading level.
The Bookshelf can help you:
- Find books for your home library – we call these “our-very-own-copies”
- Choose books at the library for temporary reading
- Select books as gifts
- Feel confident you are selecting books your kids will enjoy
- Discover the best authors, illustrator, and books available in the world of children’s literature
- Connect to books that are older, and thus not promoted heavily by common big booksellers (but are very wonderful titles and not to be missed!)
The Bookshelf is Under Construction
As of the writing of this post (December 2022) we am still in the process of developing The Bookshelf.
Please check back frequently to watch The Bookshelf grow! If you’re looking for something specific, and you wish we had an answer to your search, please let us know! Send us a message with the details. Your input will help us with the development of this tool.
Creating The Bookshelf is a large project. We expect that within a year (around the end of 2023) The Bookshelf will be a rich and vibrant tool.
In the meantime you can check the website often to see how the progress is going and what is available that you find useful.
I would love to hear from you about what you need. Let me know if you are trying to find something specific, or if your child has taken an interest in a particular format/author/topic. I’ll use your messages to decide what to add next.
Why We Built The Bookself
Ever wandered into a bookstore or the library, looking for a book to give a child? A book they will love?
What you will find are rows and rows of shelves. Shelves that are full of books. So many options it commonly leaves people unsure of which book or books to pick.
What if you could quickly glance at a list of great books for kids? You’ve probably discovered these options exist online … except they are typically large with long, long lists of books. Too difficult to sort through, too long to be helpful.
I felt one way to solve this problem would be to create a different kind of list:
- One that would introduce you to the great authors, illustrators and publishers of kids books.
- One you could reference while shopping and sort by age of child and reading level, type of book, or interest.
- One that would help you find books that are loved by kids as well as “the experts”.
To fill this need I’m creating something called “The Bookshelf”.
How The Bookshelf Is Organized
The Bookshelf is organized in several ways.
Books are grouped by age and reading levels. Primarily divided into these categories.
- Babies and Toddlers
- Emerging Readers (roughly correlating to pre-K to 2nd grade, the time when children learn to read)
- Independent Readers (approximately 2nd grade to 5th grade, the time when children can read but are still mastering fluency in reading)
Books are also grouped by the type or format of a book. If you find your child loving a particular format, you will be able to look at other books we recommend for that same format.
- Board books
- Wordless books
- Picture books
- Early readers and intro chapter books
- Chapter books
- Graphic novels
Finally, you can explore The Bookshelf by author, illustrator, publisher and main themes or topics. When you find a book you love, you can use the tags on the book’s post in The Bookshelf to find other books by the same author, illustrator, or publisher. You can also search for books about the same topics. It’s common for a child to develop a strong interest in a particular style of illustration, a particular topic, or a particular author. When this happens it’s easy to explore this interest with your child by reading more books they will like.
What’s Available Now?
I’m building the Babies and Toddlers, Emerging Readers, Board Book, and Picture Book categories. View them using these buttons.
Remember to also search by authors, illustrators, publishers, and topics using the tags on each book post.
There’s much more to come!
I would love to hear from you about what you need. Let me know if you are trying to find something specific, or if your child has taken an interest in a particular format, author/illustrator, or topic. I’ll use your messages to decide what to add next.