Do you have babies to buy for? Congrats!
So get this … research shows that one of the very BEST things adults can do for children is to read to them! Starting as young as newborn babies!
Want some help with which books to buy? I’m here to help you!
Read below for my top 10 “Books for Babies” lists! You’ll find my top 10 list, my top 10 types list, places to buy for less, and books for babies and toddlers.
Top 10 Books for Babies! (the easy approach)
Do you just want a list of books that for sure will be beloved by baby (and parent)? I’ve got you covered! Grab a few from this list and you are all set to go!
- Any board book from Priddy Books (a children’s book publisher)
- Any book from the DK Baby Touch and Feel series (a children’s book publisher)
- Peek-A-Who? by Nina Laden (a lift-a-flap book)
- Fast and Slow by Britta Teckentrup (an opposites book, also available in bilingual Spanish)
- Global Babies, a Global Fund for Children Book
- I Kissed the Baby! by Mary Murphy
- Look Look! by Peter Linenthal
- My First Busy Book by Eric Carle
- Daddy Kisses or Mommy Hugs (pick the one best for your child, or get both!) by Anne Gutman
- If I Were an Elephant by Anne Wilkinson
Top 10 Book Types for Babies!
Stock up the new baby’s library with at least one of these book types. Most of these books will be board books. Fabric and washable plastic are also great choices. Steer clear of paperback – unless you’re ok with baby eating the book, tearing the pages etc. These books help babies with the skills they gain in the first year including dexterity, language acquisition, visual and auditory development, and speech!
- A soft book made from fabric, vinyl, or plastic material
- Touch and Feel book
- Black and White book, like Black & White by Tana Hoban
- Counting book
- Alphabet book
- Opposites book
- Colors book
- Lift-a-Flap book
- Activity book
- Sound book (push the button, hear the sound)
My Top 3 Places to Buy Books at Great Prices!
Board books are pricey, as you will quickly discover. Ten new board books could cost just shy of $100. Save your dollars and check out my top 3 places to find books in “like new” condition for pennies on the dollar. The less you spend per book means the MORE books you can buy! For an added bonus – some great books are not being published any more. They are out of print. As a result you can only find some books at stores and websites that sell used books.
- Consignment shops are a great place to buy books for babies.
- Libraries! Check out the “for sale” corner at your local library, often stocked with “like new” used books.
- Book Sales. Keep your eyes posted for book sales. I’ve found some of our most favorite books at book sales, including totally 100% new board books.
Books for Babies AND Toddlers!
Books on this list will outlive the first year and carry a child as far as kindergarten. These tried and true favorites are perfect in every way, which means parent and child will enjoy reading them over and over and OVER again 🙂
- Dear Zoo (board book version)
- Guess How Much I Love You
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear
- Toes, Ears, & Nose! by Karen Katz
- Tubby or Potty by Leslie Patricelli (they are both so good for babies and toddlers that I can’t pick just one!)
- Any of the Pigeon series books by Mo Willems
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Night-Night Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton
- Dinosaur Roar
- No Two Alike
Favorite Authors … for Babies AND Toddlers
We turn to these authors again and again. They are specialists in books for babies and toddlers, you can count on stories that the children in your life will love!
- Eric Carle
- Karen Katz
- Leslie Patricelli
- Mo Willems (especially the Pigeon book series)
- Sandra Boynton
- Sara Gillingham (especially the “In My” … series)
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my Affiliate Disclosure.