You know that reading to your child at night is a key marker for their success – both as a developing reader and in many other aspects of their life.
Only one problem: you, the adult doing the reading, are not enjoying the picture books you are reading. Not enjoying them at all.
No problem. I’ve got you covered!
Enter the wonderful world of picture books that are multi-layered. With humor for your child … and humor for you. Yes, it’s really possible. The authors who achieve this reality are highly skillful. To do so in a children’s book, where such a minimum of words are used and each word is at a premium. Well, let’s just say these authors are brilliant.
Without further ado, here is a list of eight funny books to get you going.
These books are my favorites. If you have favorites I would love to hear about them – please message me! Everything on this list is suitable for toddlers through second grade. Enjoy!
- I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More, by Karen Beaumont, Illustrated by David Catrow
- It’s a Book (and the board book companion It’s a Little Book), by Lane Smith
- Snoozers, by Sandra Boynton
- This is Not My Hat, by Jon Klassen (you’ll also enjoy We Found a Hat and I Want My Hat Back)
- Knuffle Bunny, by Moe Willems
- ANY Elephant and Piggy book, also by Mo Willems
- No No, Yes, Yes, by Leslie Patricelli (also check out Tubby and Potty by the same author)
- The Monster at the End of This Book, by Jon Stone, illustrated by Michael Smollin (an oldy but a goody)