Hi! I’m Sarah! I founded Beehive Books and Art in 2018 to help families find books their kids will love, to discover the wonderful art in books, and get tips on helping their kids find a love of reading (because who wants reading to be hard work!).
I went to college to become a teacher. My degree is a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education. Can you guess which topic I enjoyed the most at college? Teaching reading :).
When I finished college I wanted to teach elementary students, but I ran into a small problem due to the cost of the certification exam. As a result my career took me in a different direction which initially was disappointing.
I threw myself into the opportunities that came my way, and looking back on it today I can see how all the various experiences I had led me to start this website and pursue this work.
Professionally you can find me online as “Sarah Galbraith Laucks”. My experience includes the management of conferences (both for venues and for organizations), VIP management (including many best-selling authors, actors, and filmmakers), marketing and creative agency work, website development, and guiding small business owners.
All that experience brought me inside the publishing world frequently, introduced me to many authors, and connected me with numerous education organizations.
Along the way I quietly collected children’s literature. My hobby was quite private until I had my son.
Today I’m a mom to one, a step-mom to three, and “Mimi” to six. I’ve volunteered in both public and private schools, and today I homeschool. My mom’s a teacher as well, with 30+ years experience teaching art.
A little more about my background with children’s literature.
- I’ve loved stories and reading and films since I was a very young girl. My earliest memories include The Flopsy Bunnies by Beatrix Potter and The Story of Lazy Bush-Tail by Constance Woodhead. I later read and reread King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry until my copy was well worn.
- I’ve been a Community Bookseller for the children’s book publisher Barefoot Books, running a small business selling children’s books in my community, interacting with hundreds of families each year, and talking about their goals and questions related to children and reading.
- I’ve run countless book drives in my community, collecting books and donations to fund books for backpack programs, holiday gift lists, safe houses, and sharing libraries.
- I’ve been a book fair chair eight times for Scholastic Book Fairs.
- I’ve been a speaker at many events, talking about how to raise children who love to read, how to build a home library, and more.
I often encountered frustration on the part of the parents – as they try to find the recommendations that work best to help them help their kids with reading.
I’ve also talked with so many parents, teachers and other adults about their feelings on how to find good books that their kids will love, locate activities that are fun and doable, and how to afford it.
As a result I decided to start Beehive Books and Art. To share what I’ve learned from so many experts about the books kids actually like to read, and what works to bring kids through the process of learning to read to a place where they love books. And why books and reading all matters.
Why the “art” at Beehive Books and Art?
Well, my home is full of books – new books, old books, big books, small books. We read children’s books of all types from the simplest of board books to advanced chapter books.
In addition to the words in the books, we also love the art in these books. We have lots and lots of art materials. We’re forever doodling, trying new papers and pens, and learning new ways to create art – and modeling what we do on what we see in the books. Here at Beehive Books and Art I want to explore how the art in these books helps kids learn to read. Not just the words :).
I know the challenges of helping kids learn to read, let alone helping them love reading.
It’s my hope that Beehive Books and Art will be a partner to you on this reading journey with your children.
I’m here to help you discover great books for your kids, to find a love of these books for yourself, to access fun activities, and to do it all in an affordable way.